Principal Partner, Chief Development Officer
Credentials & Professional Development
- H.D. Mechanic Apprenticeship, Alberta Institute of Technology, four years
- Extensive training over 30+ years in: vibration analysis, infrared imaging, oil analysis, bearings, pumps, hydraulics, lasers, and manufacturer-specific equipment.
Work History & training Engagements
- Champion International
- Canadian Government
- International Paper
- Mobil Oil
- Intercontinental Pulp & Paper
- Update International
Summary of Qualifications / Career Overview
Ian McKinnon is a founding principal of Reliability Solutions and a pioneer in the “Precision Maintenance®" field. His innate process orientation, mechanical aptitude, and analytical abilities have been the cornerstone of his extensive career achievements. During Ian’s first position as a craft technician in the pulp & paper industry he readily recognized that most machinery was not rebuilt, installed, or operated properly. Not long after completing a four-year H.D. Mechanic apprenticeship, he joined Mobil Oil and progressed from a mechanic through multiple roles to a Vibration Analyst. In 1988, he joined Update International, a vibration analysis company, as an International Consultant and Instructor and began developing skills-specific course content. Six years later he joined a major pulp & paper company and was one of the creators of their “Precision Maintenance®" program. He was tapped for a corporate position to rollout “Precision Maintenance®" training to all 23 U.S. mills. In 2003 Ian cofounded Reliability Solutions and expanded “Precision Maintenance®" into a more holistic approach, Reliable Manufacturing®, where design, engineering, purchasing, production, and maintenance all work in concert to optimize the manufacturing process. He has written training curriculum that has passed rigorous university review and currently directs all curriculum and instructor development for Reliability Solutions. Ian is an inspired instructor who is passionate about helping others have a better life through the transfer of “hard” skills.
Expertise & Client Contributions
- Implementing predictive maintenance strategies, such as vibration analysis, infrared imaging, and oil analysis.
- Evolving and expanding “Precision Maintenance®" into a comprehensive, holistic Reliable Manufacturing® process with extensive analysis and redesign impacting every aspect of manufacturing operations.
- Securing full sponsorship by clients’ leadership teams for Reliable Manufacturing® program implementation and organizational change management initiatives.
- Designing Reliable Manufacturing® curriculum, developing instructors, and delivering classes for executives, management, supervisors, and technicians.
- Consulting with corporations in 27 countries in industries such as oil & gas, food, manufacturing, pulp & paper, steel, power generation, nuclear fuels & pharmaceuticals.
- Realizing major cost reductions and increased competitive advantage for clients.